Tuesday, May 22, 2012


For the 2nd time in her life Aleece had to take a ride in the ambulance.  They picked her up from the pediatrician's office and took her straight to the ER.  

Poor Leecy T started to not feel well a week ago Saturday.  We were out running errands and when we got home I took her temperature, only to discover she had a pretty good fever.  Sunday morning (Mother's Day) she said she was feeling a little better and she went to church.  A small group of about 10 primary kids (Aleece and Madelaine included) sang a special musical number in Relief Society, "I Often Go Walking".  Aleece even had a little solo.  She has come SUCH a long way in her journey to overcome her fear of being in front of people.  It was so beautiful and I was so proud of the girls.  I know now that Aleece, probably didn't feel 100%, but she came and sang for me anyways, because of Mother's Day.  She is such a good girl.  

As Sunday progressed, Aleece started to feel yuckier and yuckier and her fever came back.  She stayed home from school on Monday and Tuesday and on Tuesday night one of our home teacher's came over and helped Val give her a blessing.  On Wednesday when I went in to wake the girls for school, Aleece's eyes were bright red and she was kind of gasping for air. We had been treating her for the past several days with breathing treatments (she had also had a cough), but this worried me, so I called and got her an appointment for as soon as I could.  At her doctor's appointment, she had another fever and her oxygen was about 93 (it is supposed to be 100 at room air).  So they gave her a breathing treatment and checker her again.  This time it was 94, but she was still wheezing, so they gave her some steroids and another breathing treatment.  Strangely, when they checked her after that, her oxygen was even lower at about 88-89.  So not safe!  So they called an ambulance to come and take her to the ER.  I had the boys with me (Lainey was at school), so I called Val and asked if he could leave work right away.  He did and came and picked the boys up from the pediatrician's office shortly after I left (they couldn't ride in the ambulance with us--no seatbelts). Luckily the pediatrician's office said they were well behaved!  

In the ER they started an IV (took 2 tries--she has some awful bruises) and took a chest x-ray, which showed she had pnuemonia.  They gave her 2, hour long breathing treatments, which were less then fun.  She had to wear a mask the entire 2 hours and it still didn't really help, so they checked her into the hospital.  The hospital is the same one I had Harrison at, and is very nice. The nurses were all sweet and attentive.  The only problem is you don't get much rest in a hospital.  They are literally coming and going ALL day AND night long.  They treated Aleece with antibiotics, steroids, iv fluids, and breathing treatments.  Her oxygen was still pretty low and she kept setting off the alarm.  They had to do some bloodwork one of the days as well, and so they had to poke her again.  On Friday evening one of the dr's from our pediatricians office came and checked on her.  They asked her if she wanted to stay another night.  Aleece most definitely did not.  Her oxygen still wasn't where they wanted it, but we were allowed to go home.  We have been medicating her and giving her breathing treatments every four hours, and we took her back to the doctor yesterday.  She still has some junk in her lungs, but the wheezing is pretty much gone and she is improving every day.  It's so hard to watch your children in pain!

Our ward family has taken amazing care of us.  They provided us with dinner two nights and two of my friends helped watch the boys.  The boys actually were at the hospital all of Thursday morning and they were having a hay day with all of the buttons!  So I was extremely grateful when one of my friends volunteered to watch them.  It was a huge blessing.  

Our wonderful family has been great at checking up on her too and it really made us miss having Granny and Grampy so close.  We were definitely spoiled for the year they were here!  We are so anxious to get to see them in less than two weeks!  Yay!

1 comment:

M {3 said...

Sad Sad face here! :((((