Saturday, January 10, 2009

Christmas traditions

We have lots of Christmas traditions in our home and we enjoy participating in them every year. We did these things as children and my memories of them are so wonderful, that I wanted to pass them onto our children. They seem to enjoy them as well, and I hope someday they will pass them onto their own children.
Every year we reenact the Nativity, complete with King Herod, angels, wisemen, shepherds, animals, Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus. I remember as a child always wanting to be Mary, and I guess that just goes to show how much I always wanted to be a mother. Aleece asked to be Mary this year and I was happy to pass along the torch, if you will! Even as silly as we all get on Christmas Eve reenacting the Savior's birth, the Spirit is always strong and I am always so grateful for the opportunity we have to remember what is most important over the holiday season.
Mary and Joseph
Shephard and Angel
Shepherd, Wiseman and Baby Jesus
Wiseman and Mary
Wiseman and Angel
Wisemen
King Herod
Angels
More angels
Baby Jesus in his swaddling clothes (and Santa suit!)
We also have a talent show and we dress up and act out the 12 Days of Christmas. This always proves to be a good time! Another fun tradition is opening our Christmas pajamas, putting them on, hanging up our stockings over the fireplace before we go to bed and laying out milk and cookies for Santa, with a special note of course! Although in my later adolescent years I do believe Santa Claus preferred Diet Coke! :)
1st Christmas!!!
Acting out the 12 Days of Christmas (hence the Partridge in a Pear Tree hat Katchie is wearing, the Lords a Leaping shirt Jeff is styling, the swans a swimming goggles Grampy has on, the five golden rings Krispy Kreme hat Lennon is sporting, and the colander/drum Eric used for the drummers drumming---it's all about creativity people!!!)
And of course you can't forget the geese a laying (Mary), the maids a milking (Lainey and I), the ladies dancing (Aleece)! We also had the others, but I don't think they are visible in these pics!
It's always so fun to celebrate the holidays with family and we had such a fabulous time. The only downfall was that the time we got to spend together was not near long enough! Thanks for a wonderful holiday celebration our cute family!

6 comments:

M {3 said...

You made me think back on so many other times we have done these fun traditions. Just like this year my memories bring big smiles. Less than 350 days until we can do some again;) I sure miss all those sweet faces.

Kathy said...

wow - you guys do go all out to act it out!!! cute jammies on lennon :)

Trey said...

I was a cow.. not an angel.. jerk!

mamasteph said...

Bro--there is not an inch of cow costume on you in that picture--I didn't want people to think I was making a rude comment! :) But okay, you were a cow! :) Love ya!

Nina said...

CUTE POSTS!! You guys look like you've had so much Christmas fun. I have LOVED seeing all the photos of your family...your ma and pa look fabulous...all those siblings are lovin up your cutie pies...and you, Val, and the babies...3!!...look great! Can you even believe you're a mommy to 3?! We still await our little one...any time now would be fine. ;) Take care and thanks for being my avid blog fan!

Biggie T said...

I'm glad we've been able to maintain our traditions and was thrilled we had enough actors for the "pageant" this year. Thanks for publishing some of the photos!