Monday, August 03, 2009

Catch up....

One of the things that we did on our return trip home this summer was to visit the Oklahoma City National Monument. We thought it would be a good learning experience for the kids and we were right. We were able to teach them about love, about the effects of violence and hatred and how we can prevent it, about survival, about comfort, strength, peace and hope! It was incredibly hot and we didn't stay a very long time, but we were there long enough to learn about what really happened and the amazing efforts of the community to build this now beautiful place. My personal favorite thing there was the Survivor Tree. It is an American Elm that bore witness to and survived the attack and they have built the memorial around it. It is a beautiful place and I'm glad we had the opportunity to go.



One day when Val and I were traveling home a butterfly struck our car and managed somehow to stay in place until we arrived home. Val gently removed it from the car and showed the girls how beautiful it was and Aleece quickly asked if we could return it to it's family and it's home. We explained we didn't know exactly where that was, but we agreed to let her take it to Shelby Farms, a very large park, near where we believed it first hit the car. So, Granny and I took the girls to the park and Aleece was so gentle and kind to this poor butterfly. We knew it wouldn't survive, but Aleece made sure she found the perfect place to lay her (Madame Butterfly as she was referred to) so that her family could come and rescue her. It's amazing to see the compassion and caring that your children have. Aleece has matured into such a sweet, loving little girl and it makes me smile to see how tender she is with animals. She still has a strong desire to be a veterinarian, and I know she would make an amazing one!



Val and I got to celebrate our anniversary a little early this year by going to see Wicked! Words can not possibly describe how good it was! Amazing. Fantastic. Better than I even expected.... Seriously. If you haven't seen it, find someplace where it is being performed and GO! We are so grateful to my mom for watching the kids so that we could do this! We were able to go to dinner beforehand at PeiWei, which was delicious, and then head over to the Orpheum Theatre. I love the message behind this musical and the story it tells. I think often times we are quick to judge others based on appearance, without giving them a chance, and this story goes a long way in showing the harrowing effects that that can cause! The music was beautiful, the performances perfect and the atmosphere was incredible! What a great way to celebrate an anniversary to the man I love with my whole heart and soul!

4 comments:

Syphus Family said...

Looks like so much fun! I LOVED Wicked, what a great show! You look so pretty!

The Bombic said...

I love these pictures - you look gorgeous in that purple blouse! And I will always treasure my birthday card this year which, in Aleece's own hand writing said, "I saved a butterfly! Aleece". What a sweet bunch of kids you've got. :)

TheKillerJ said...

You need to write more! Those kids are great. Aleece has such a big heart for little critters. She nearly lost her mind in Minnesota when she saw an ant in the jar with her precious caterpillars. haha

Hair Goddess said...

That is so sweet about the butterfly, I love that little mush! That's cool you guys got to see the monument. I didn't realize OK was so close! PS that picture of you and Val is fabulous! You should frame it! You look gorgeous!!!
Love you sister !