Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Growing up...

It's so amazing to me to watch my children learn and grow. They literally change every day! Whether it be learning something new, or developing a new facial expression, whatever!
This past week Val decided to teach Aleece the song "There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly". He sang the whole song to her, with Aleece asking after each verse, "Why?" It's a pretty reasonable question, I don't know why someone would swallow any of those things. When the song was complete, instead of Aleece asking us to sing it again, or commenting on how much she liked it, she replied "What a wierdo." It then dawned on me, that my first born is now much more grown up than I maybe want her to be! When your kids are young you can protect them from just about anything, but the older they get, the more they understand about the world in general and it gets much harder to shield them from the daily woes of life. But I know that it is a part of life, and I smile everyday at the new things Aleece has learned or realized! She also has learned the concept of knock knock jokes. Val thought he could fool her with the old "why did the chicken cross the road?" joke, but Aleece responded with the right answer so quickly, Val was downright shocked! I don't think he realized our babies were growing up so quickly either!!! Madelaine is learning a bit of sassiness from her big sister. I've determined we have used the counting method much to often, because now when I start to count three, I can only get out one, before Madelaine chimes in with "two". I have to admit, it makes me laugh every time. I'm not very good at being the tough parent. It's always been one of my challenges. It's just so hard to try and keep a straight face half of the time when I am trying to use a little discipline! I just love my kids so darn much!

5 comments:

M {3 said...

Strong Girls from our genes, imagine that;) You definitely have never been the tough parent...unless your laughter counts as being tough! <3

Brent and Mary Rose said...

I tried to read your blog aloud to Adam, and couldn't get through it without a couple tears. Its crazy to me how fast those girls are growing up now that you are away. We sure love and miss all of you so much and wish we could be there to laugh at you while you try and discipline (it always does make me smile). Love you sister! And thanks for the Happy Birthday!

Hair Goddess said...

Sassiness from Aleece? Uh Who do you think taught Aleece.... Give me some credit! hahaha Just kidding :)
Miss you all and Love ya lots

Kathy said...

cute! my girls used to do the "counting" thing when i started to count for them too. . . . hard to get mad at them after that! it is crazy how fast kids grow. . .

Syphus Family said...

You guys seem like such great parents. Your girls sound so sweet!