Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The Land of Oz.....

Today has been a pretty terrifying experience for me, as well as the rest of Memphis, TN. All of the Memphis City Schools closed down at 12:30 this afternoon. Val was home shortly thereafter. There was talk of extreme inclement weather, though it was still sun-shiney and 70 degrees outside! We ran a couple of errands and within about 15 minutes of our arriving home we were in our closet waiting out the tornadoes. Luckily we have a master bedroom, so the closet is pretty reasonably sized, even with four people inside of it. We grabbed some water, snacks, books and crayons for the girls, a flashlight, and sat it out. We didn't realize how unprepared we were until the moment was upon us! I know I had to deal with tornadoes and hurricanes and such growing up, but it really has been so long, that I guess I forgot how prepared you need to be! We will definately be preparing a tub of essentials for the next time this occurs. We were in the closet for probably an hour and a half total. The girls weren't completely thrilled with this, but we kept them entertained with stories and songs. When it was determined to be safe to come out, we tuned into the local news and watched as they told of all the damage that has already occurred. As I write this we are still not completely out of the woods. They are severe storms and tornado warnings on either side of our county, and we are hoping to not have to bed down in the closet tonight. A mall about 15 miles from here had a wall completely destroyed and many businesses have had roofs cave in, and fires start, and much, much more! A gas station on the state line even exploded! A tornado actually touched down about 2 miles from here and when we heard that my heart was in my throat! I've gotten alot more anxious the older I've gotten. I hate to admit I've developed more fears, but I think that becoming a mother has made me that much more aware of all the not so great stuff that can happen in our world! I know I get my mother tiger instincts from my mother, and I would do anything to protect my children! Needless to say, after exiting our closet I wondered if we were going to emerge into some kind of Land of Oz! An hour and a half in a closet, and being pregnant, makes your brain come up with all kinds of wacky stuff! We pray that we will continue to be safe and that those affected by these storms will get the relief that they need!

7 comments:

Kathy said...

oh my gosh - FREAKY. i'm sorry you had to go through that!

Stephanie said...

HOLY COW! so glad you guys weren't hit...i can only imagine the momentary state of panic you were in - i would be freaking out, especially since we are SO not prepared for a disaster. well, i do have a lantern. lol. i should be good, right?

Hair Goddess said...

Uh HI thats scary... that's why you need to move back here! Rarely are there tornados! :) Glad you all are safe, loves ya

M {3 said...

You guys are troopers. I have been so worried about you. When you called from your closet with sirens going off, you still sounded so pleasant, amazing! Remember when you were pregnant with Leecy T and we had to hide in the back of Target in Sioux Falls-twice? Stay Safe.<3

Biggie T said...

No sense taking any chances - I'm glad you headed for the closet. Hearing the sirens while I was on the phone brought back memories of other places we've lived and had to do the same thing.

Brent and Mary Rose said...

We are so glad you kids are safe! How scary! Katchie's right! Come home!!! ;) Makes you realize how important that 72 hour kit is huh!

Syphus Family said...

How scary! I am so glad you guys are safe. I need to update our 72 hr kit, thanks for the reminder!